Monday, July 15, 2013

Crunch time

Eeeeeekkkkkk! Less then 2 weeks until...
I just got big news yesterday while at my other race. Due to the flooding in Alberta in June they have changed our swim location and bike route. Normally I might freak out a bit because changes this close to a race can be scary but I'm going to be honest...
I was dreading the swim in Ghost Dam. Seriously, it is one cold body of water. When I lived in Calgary the only way you went into Ghost was with a dry suit. Did you catch that? Yup, I said DRY suit. Now we will be swimming in the lovely temperatures of Mackenzie Lake. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it's a manmade lake. Then we ride out 22X to Bragg Creek then back into Calgary. I'm a little bummed about the bike distance being shortened to 86km because I feel like my cycling is on fire right now. I am averaging 30km/hour consistently. My running on the other hand is not so good. Enough about that later.
So as I mentioned I had a race yesterday. So how do you prep for your last race before the big one?
That's right. You go out dancing. FYI, I probably should have rested a bit more but hey I had loads of fun!!!

My little poopsy pie just wanted to dance in my arms.

Big sis couldn't get enough dancing.

The fabulous live band. These guys are awesome! I can't remember the name of the band but they played some great music.

and what's a party without a little Frisbee???

The night ended a little earlier then planed due to the little one having a minor meltdown. Okay that was an understatement. I think hubby was ready to feed her to the wolves after this. I was just happy to spend time with a lovely friend.

So Sunday morning up bright and early. Picked up my lovely friend "PT" for hard core personal trainer. Got to race site for 7am. Got to set up with my bestie and fav training partner "S"
As we were setting up she looks at me and says"um, I think I forgot my timing chip". Seriously? Luckily it happened to be at the bottom of her basket. Phew!
Team Berg set up. I should have taken another picture when our other lovely friend and team Berg member joined us. We cleaned up the joint!
Myself and "PT" ready to roll. Actually we were just waiting in line for the porta potties.


And, some other lovely ladies. Seriously this is my favourite race because all of us do it together. It's super low key lots of fun and I get to be on the course with all of my good buddies.

Normally I don't like posting pictures of me running because, well, they are BAD!!!  However this is the only race photo I have of yesterday so...
I'll be honest. I was not feeling well. I had to duck into the bushes a few times to um, well, you know. I am so collapsed.  Worst part about this photos is my coaches wife took it so he of course see's everything I'm doing wrong. Now I need to remember to stay tall. Another lesson learned.

Anyways, I placed second in my age group and my knee didn't completely give out. I would say this all ended well. 

My lovely friend "R" and I compared ugly feet and most bandaged.
We were quite the pair.

Best part of the day? The family came to cheer me on. Big sis even made a sign.

So now I start my taper for my first 70.3 Ironman. I am still super nervous but I definitely feel more at ease about the course changes. Now it's time to just enjoy the ride.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment