Monday, June 17, 2013

What a Weekend

Another Olympic Distance race under my belt. How was it? Well, I had a ton of fun, there were some ups and downs, I did not reach my goal of sub 3 hours but I'm okay with that and I survived all of the crazy crap that came with our adventurous weekend. I'll try to keep this short because there is a lot to tell.
Friday afternoon we were ready to roll out to our destination. Only problem was the road to our destination was closed due to an accident. So we took our time getting ready and left 2 hours later. Ces't La Vie!
Got our parking lot.. I mean camp spot all set up.

Task 1 for the weekend is done! Decided to go to bed a little early to catch up on some much needed sleep for my race on Sunday. Only problem...
someone forgot the pillows. UGH!!!!!! I was not happy even though the blame doesn't go 100% onto hubby because I know I'm equally responsible for that one.

Next day woke up super cranky thanks to no pillow. Had to run a few errands (including shopping for pillows that stay in the trailer). Then headed over to the race site for package pickup and bike drop. The Subaru Western Triathlon Series are a great bunch of events. They had a ton of stuff going on. The place was packed. Todays tasks included grabbing my race pack, dropping off my bike, have kids run the kids fun race, do a short run and a quick swim.
Both of my girls ran the race. Big sis did awesome even though I don't have a photo because I was busy running with little sis who bonked after the first lap.
We spared her by not taking a photo of the aftermath. Let me just tell you there were a lot of tears and then after she recovered she wanted to run again despite the race being finished. Don't worry though she did get a prize anyways.

Had some lunch back at the trailer.
The husband and I had a super awesome rice bowl that I concocted.

The kids had the same thing but of course their food can't be layered in a bowl.

Met up with my coach briefly, got my run and swim in and then we headed out for some food to celebrate Fathers Day a day early since I would be busy racing.
I then put my racing stuff together and double checked that I had everything I needed.
The hoodie underneath everything came in my race pack. It is super cute.

We then took some time to relax by the campfire and roast some marshmallows. We met a lovely family from up Island at Comox who the husband was also racing. Turns out there were a few of us camped here (my coach included).
Off to bed.

Race morning I was up at 5:30 to be at the site for 6:30. As I was getting ready I had a very sad and very sick little girl.
Turns out she had the flu. After a few bouts of the barfs I got her to go back to bed and wished my husband a happy fathers day. He later got barfed on. Sigh, I did offer to stay home from the race but he said he would be fine. I now realize his day was less then desirable. I'll have to make that up to him.
My coach and I got dropped off by his lovely wife which worked out very well because there was no parking anywhere. The line for the porta potties was 15 minutes long. I eventually got my transition set up.
Then off to the lake to start this race.

Unfortunately due to a husband who had to deal with a super sick kid and a naughty great dane we have no race photos except this one of me yelling to see how little sis is doing. She was definitely on my mind the entire race. So was the fact that I was considering not running the race due to my knee being very painful. 
I totally look like I'm going so slow here. Apparently my average speed was 29km/hour though.

My spectators getting bored.

My other spectators getting a little pep into her after barfing on her dad.

So once I crossed the finish line I had some great friends come and congratulate me. There was someone missing though...
My coach. So I started asking around. Normally he finishes about 30minutes ahead of me and waits at the finish line for me. Turns out he was in the medical tent : (
He stubbed his toe on the run and hit the ground hard. He tore up his hands, his knee, his shoulder was all scratched up and he even popped a rib out. Craziest part is he still won his age group! 

So all in all I had a great race. Yes it totally sucked that I missed my goal time by 1 minute and 31 seconds but looking at all my times I'm really proud at what I did. 

Swim: 26:51 (fastest in my age group)
Bike: 1:34 (45km)
Run: 55:59 (a little slow but considering I wasn't going to run, not too bad)

My transitions weren't as fast as I would have liked so I need to practice a few more of those but overall I thought I did pretty good. 
So we are less then 6 weeks to my Calgary Ironman 70.3 
I'm feeling a little more confident that I can do it but I have a bit more work to do on the bike and run... after I recover.
 This is all worth it right?

No comments:

Post a Comment